Monday, August 30, 2004

What do DB people do ?

For people who know how I carp about databases in general, this will be deliciously ironic:

I was attempting to get my laptop to talk to the wireless system in the business center of the VLDB hotel, and the person managing the center comes up to chat. It turns out that he is taking computer classes in night school and asked me (of all people) what it is that database researchers do. It was interesting that his first thought was that they do something with Oracle. I think I successfully defended DB folk against this scurrilous baseless rumor...

As an aside, a friend of mine who used to teach databases to business school folks frequently complained that they all came into the class expecting to learn how to use Micro$oft Access.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for The Geomblog