Monday, November 08, 2004

Making your own maps...

Since I first posted the cartograms, many people have emailed me asking if I could modify the cartograms to do various kinds of displays. Although changing color schemes is easy, changing the map itself is not (since I didn't generate the polygons for the map myself).

Anthony Robinson, a master's student at Penn State, works on various aspects of geographic visualization within the geoVISTA center, and has provided a toolkit developed by folks at Penn State that allows you to download Election 2004 results and play with them inside an exploratory analysis tool. He also provides the election data to work with !

Definitely check it out if you want to create your own maps; the folks at Penn State have been doing great work in scientific visualization for a while.

1 comment:

  1. In case you were put off by the somewhat oddball install process, you might want to try again.

    We have managed to create a self-executing .jar file that makes launching things much easier, and it *should* work now across platforms, although I am still waiting for someone with a mac to try it and tell me!

    http://www.personal.psu.edu/acr181/election.html

    Cheers!


    Anthony Robinson

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for The Geomblog