Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Indian grad student experience, and more...

I occasionally read the Chronicle of Higher Education: I guess it's de rigeur for my academic colleagues. It's often too stuffy for me, but this issue has two articles that are real gems (and had me nodding my head in agreement paragraph after paragraph).

Unless you've hung around Indian grad students, you have no idea of the kind of organizational skills that we can muster up when it comes to helping fellow Indian students acclimatize. I recall being picked up at SFO by a "senior" grad student and driven to Stanford, and supplied with all kinds of useful information when I got there, (including copies of all the variations of the driving tests the California DMV uses!). Apparently, things have become much more sophisticated: check out this description of the Indian student organization at NC State (and yes, I do own a copy of The Inscrutable Americans; the letter Gopal writes to his father at the beginning of the book is priceless).

The other article could have easily been written about my parents, and their general bewilderment at the kind of work I do (I remember the first time I went to work in shorts while my father was visiting, and how scandalized he was) . It's hilarious: do check it out.


Categories:

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, the power of the old boy network has proven successful for centuries and the new best and brightest are creating their own version.

    Good for them as it's the American way!

    aranguy 

    Posted by John Walsh

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for The Geomblog