We finally got around to seeing the first episode yesterday. I was nervous because I loved the original so much and hoped that my kids would like it as well (as all parents know, you can't show fear or the sharks will smell it :)).
Things I liked:
- The homage to Carl Sagan was done beautifully. If you're going to reboot a franchise, you don't have to pretend that nothing existed before, you know.
- The mix of CG + real person and animation was a good way to tell the different stories. I was a little worried about the denouement of the Giordano Bruno tale because my six-year old was watching, but it was done without being too graphic.
- The graphics were non-cheesy: but then I wasn't ever worried about the quality of graphics in the original. I'm pretty sure that 20 years from now these graphics will look cheesy as well. The year-long calendar of the universe was a fantastic demonstration of the immensity of time.
Things I could live without:
Granted, it's the first episode, so there's no point in being too harsh. But
- If I had any heartstrings ever, they've been pulled out of shape into long strands of spaghetti. The constant sweeping orchestral background made me feel like I was watching NBC's coverage of the Winter Olympics. I almost expected to see a personal profile of how the universe overcame the adversity of the Big Bang to become the star performer it is today.
- As with all modern American shows purporting to be about science, I found the balance between sweeping rhetoric and actual facts to be disturbingly skewed towards the soaring fluffy. Watch some David Attenborough, people ! or even, I don't know, COSMOS itself. But see below...
I liked it. No question that I'm watching it again. And the eight-year old loved it ! Thought it was full of information. So maybe my assessment of graphics-to-information ratio is completely off.
The funniest thing: when it was over, this happened:
Kids: "Let's see the next episode now!"
Me: We'll have to wait a week for it.
Kids: "What do you mean, we have to wait a week ?"
Netflix should be proud. Binge watching on demand is now the default mode.